EVLOGY GEORGIEV: THE FIRST DONATOR OF SOFIA UNIVERSITY
In February, 1896, the great Bulgarian Maecenas Evlogy Georgiev sent a letter of will to Knyaz Ferdinand, stating his desire to donate the empty space between Tsarogradska str. and Dondukov blvd. in his possession, and the amount of 800,000 levs. His will was the place and money to be used to build the first Bulgarian University; and article 13 of the same document established the fund of 6 bln. levs so a university to be built in a town in Bulgaria or Romelia.
FUND AFTER EKATERINA - JOSEF
In 1898 Josef Kovachev donated all his property for research. In 1908–1909 the fund "Ekaterina - Josef" was established, according to Josev Kovachev's wife, Ekaterina's will. In 1936–1937 the grant of 10 000 levs for student scientific studies, as well as a two-year grant for students to study abroad in the field of Slavic Philology, Bulgarian History, Bulgarian Geography, Philosophy, and Pedagogy.
The late Dr. Stajcho Georgiev's brother, Ivan Georgiev, established a grant of 100 000 levs for students from Bulgarian origin but living abroad in 1925. He also donated his brother's library to the Faculty of Medicine.
In 1928 the poet Dora Gabe Peneva, the wife of the late Prof. Boyan Penev, donates 4814 papers to the Faculty of Slavic Studies.
In 1926 a fund of 10,000 levs was established according to the Czech Prof. Anton Shourek's will. It was to be granted to students of mathematics and fisics. In the same year another fund was established as well, named after the late Prof. Nikola Aleksiev, at the amount of 34,000 levs, for student studies in applied psychology.
In 1929 Dr. Marin Rousev donated 8,000 levs for the two best graduates in medicine; Dr. Ilarion Burov and Marijka Burova grant 50,000 levs for the best medical paper; Prof. St. Bobchev granted 40,000 levs for the best paper in contrastive research of Slavic Law; and a 10,000-lev grant donated by M. Botusharova for a distinguished student in Classical Philology.
In 1934 the heirs of the late Prof. Zheko Radev, donated 150,000 levs to lay the foundation of a fund supporting research in Bulgarian Geography. The heirs of the late Assoc. Prof. Dimitar Bliznakov donated 100,000 levs to support low-income students of the Faculty of Vet Medicine.
The trend to receive donations from professors, who had raised money for charity, went up. For example, in 1936 Prof. Beron demised an estate in "Gurko" str. to establish a fund named after his late son Assoc. Prof. Vassil Beron.
Prof. Anastas Ishirkov's will read that he donated 900,000 levs to start two funds, established in 1938: an Ishirkov's Grant for students to specialize Geography abroad, and a fund to support student studies in Bulgarian Geography. He also left his library to the Institute of Geography at Sofia University.
The late Prof. Michail Hadziev's mother established a fund named after her son in 1937, which to support low-income students of agricultural chemistry, and outstanding studies in the same field to be awarded.
Traditionally, many scholars donated their libraries. For example, in 1943 the heirs of late Prof. Paraskev Stoyanov donated 210 volumes, Dr.Teodosij Vitanov's - 350 volumes, Prof. Stefan Bonchev's - valuable issues as well as the rights over the magazine Geologica Balkanica, Dr. Bazov's - books for the Faculty of Vet Medicine library, etc.
Tsar Boris III was a regular sponsor of the University, being its patron and honorary Doctor, giving away grants for low-income students, a fund named after him, etc.
In 1943 Prof. Alexander Stanishev left 40,000 levs for poor students (with priority for those from Macedonia) of the Faculty of Medicine.
Money was raised also by charity donations. In 1895 a fund was established in honour of the Ivan Vazov's 25th writing career jubilee to award the best fiction essay in fine arts. In 1923 a similar national subscription in honour of 100th anniversary of Luis Pasteur's birth raised money to establish a fund for supporting the scientific research in the chemistry labs at the Faculty of Physics and Mathematics.
CENTRE FOR SLAVO-BYZANTINE STUDIES 'PROF. IVAN DUJČEV'
The most significant donation during the socialism is the one which led to establishing a Centre for Slavo-Byzantine Studies 'Prof. Ivan Dujčev'. Prof. Ivan Dujčev's personal library and archive laid its foundation in 1986. It filled its fund through donations from the heirs of Prof. Christo Gandev (1987), Prof. T. Gerasimov (1989), Prof. T. Borov (1993), and Prof. V. Beshevliev (1994). The libraries of Prof. Peter Haranis (1986), Prof. A. Vassilev (1987), and Prof. D. Michalchev (1988) were bought off by the Centre. The fund consists of 60,000 items, including 650 manuscripts and fragments of Slavic, Greek and Oriental origin, bilingual and triple-lingual manuscripts, which represent the rich in heritage of the Balkans. The Centre also raised money from donations in order to film the manuscripts by the Japanese foundation and the museum Fuji in Tokyo, the foundation Tissen in Köln, and the library in the Vatican.
DONATIONS FOR THE 100th JUBILEE OF THE UNIVERSITY
A number of addresses, honorary ensigns, medals and pieces of art, etc. were given to the University. A donation of $1,000 was received from Marin Pundev (USA), replicas of icons featuring St. Kliment Ohridski worth 2,100 levs were donated by Jordan Shejtanov, Sofia, 12 ceramic panels worth 3,390 levs were received from Stojka Valkova, Sofia, a bronze relief of St. Kliment Ohridski worth 1,200 levs was given by Nikolaj Sultanov, Sliven, 630 volumes worth 4,500 levs were donated by Liliana Mladenova-Taneva, Sofia, and many others.
Collective donators became 68 institutions, including the Ministries of: Chemical Industry, of Law, of Metallurgy, of Education and Science; Mashinoexport, Interpread, Balkancarpodem, the Bulgarian Academy of Science, Bulgarian Patriarchate, the National Library, and many others.
THE DONATOR - THE ARTIST JORDAN SHENTOV
Donator to the fund 13 Centuries Bulgaria and Soifa University. His icons have been exhibited in many countries, and he has had 16 exhibitions.
THE DONATORS KAREN, VIVIAN and EDWARD AGURA (USA)
In 2005, Karen Agura, on behalf of herself, her late husband Prof. Dimitar Agura, and their children Vivian and Edward, donated $5,000 for research at the Faculty of History and for development of Sofia University Museum.
PROF. NADJA DANOVA
In 2005 Prof. Nadja Danova gave away to Sofia University Museum documentation, materials and artifacts, which belonged to Prof. Christo Danov.
PROF. NADEZHDA ANDREEVA ПРОФ. ДФН НАДЕЖДА АНДРЕЕВА
In 2008 Prof. Nadezhda Andreeva donated a rare book issued 1858.